Harris County and Department of Homeland Security Partner to Offer Active Shooter Training
Wednesday, November 9, 2016
Posted by: Shannon Roberts
Active Shooter Preparedness Workshop
November 28, 2016
Harris County Department of Education
6300 Irvington Boulevard
Houston, TX 77022
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Office of Infrastructure Protection seeks to enhance preparedness through a “whole community” approach. This approach supports our stakeholders’ efforts to plan, prepare and mitigate risk from a potential active shooter threat. This workshop is presented in coordination with Harris County Department of Education.
The workshop goals include recognition, prevention, and preparedness training for active shooter incidents with an emphasis on emergency action plan development. Following the National Preparedness Mission Areas and Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Comprehensive Preparedness Guidance, expert instructors utilize slide presentations, training videos, and facilitated discussions to share information on how to structure and develop an emergency action plan utilizing best practices. Upon completion of the workshop, participants will return to their organization with the initial elements of their active shooter emergency action plan.
Building Emergency Planning Capabilities
The workshop will also describe how to incorporate key elements of successful incident management into planning efforts including:
- Communication and incident planning for employees;
- Emergency action plan development;
- Recognizing behavioral indicators; and
- Coordinating with first responders.
Registration for this event is free. Click here to register, or cut and paste this link into your browser: https://www.govevents.com/details/21464/dhs-active-shooter-preparedness-workshop--houston-tx/.
- Registration closes November 26, 2016 at 12:00 P.M. (EST).
- Limited seating is available; 2 slots per organization additional attendees will be approved on a case by case basis.
- Note: If your plans change, please notify us so we can accommodate others on the waiting list.
Who Should Participate?
This event is open to:
- Corporate and facility security professionals from the private and public sectors;
- Law Enforcement;
- Supervisory first responders;
- Human resource managers;
- Community response officials; and
- Homeland security representatives.
7:30 - 8:30 A.M. Registration
8:30 - 8:45 A.M. Opening Remarks and Welcome
9:00 - 12:00 P.M. Module 1-3
12:00 - 1:00 P.M. Lunch
1:00 - 3:45 P.M. Module 4 -6
3:45 - 4:00 P.M. Closing Remarks / Certificate Distribution
- A Federal, state, local government-issued ID (e.g. state issued driver’s license) will be required for entry.
- For more information on the Active Shooter Preparedness Workshops, email: ASworkshop@hq.dhs.gov.
- For more Active Shooter Preparedness information, visit: http://www.dhs.gov/active-shooter-preparedness.
- At your request, Mr. Michael Macha, your local DHS Protective Security Advisor (PSA), can provide additional information regarding DHS products and services that may be available to your organization. He may be contacted at: email@example.com.
Download the flyer with all the details here.